GeoParks of Europe
GEOPARKS – NATURAL AND CULTURAL HERITAGE THAT JOINS EUROPEAN STUDENTS AND TEACHERS
ABOUT THE PROJECT
“GEOPARKS – NATURAL AND CULTURAL HERITAGE THAT JOINS EUROPEAN STUDENTS AND TEACHERS”
Is project carried out by students and teachers from Poland, Spain, France, Bulgaria, Hungary, Cyprus.It is an interdisciplinary project combining Biology, Geology, Geography,Environmental Science, Language, Arts. All partners will be involve in presenting one GEOPARK of their region. In many countries around the world, earth science education is lacking. Many students and adults do not have a formal understanding of the structure of the earth or earth processes and they do have recognition of Earth heritage sites of their country and region. The majority of sites present on the territory of a European Geopark must be part of the geological heritage, but their interest may also be archaeological, ecological, historical or cultural. A European Geopark has an active role in the economic development of its territory through enhancement of a general image linked to the geological heritage and the development of Geotourism. An European Geopark develops experiments with and enhances methods for preserving the geological heritage.
The project will make a major contribution to informal and formal geoeducation by sharing scientific, historical and cultural knowledge, skills and values with students and teachers. In the broadest sense, geoparks are centres for informal education providing students with informative and enjoyable experiences which enhance their appreciation of the landscape and culture. By the project students and teachers be aware of impotance of protection Geoparks becasue of their values.The project will serve for students providing outdoor laboratories for formal, traditional education and research.
These educational activities will enhance the transferable skills of students and thus contribute indirectly to increase the possibility of finding geojob in the future. Professional development project program have been designed to offer both formal and practical opportunities for students to expand their knowledge and abilities of making observation and measurements in geology using special equipment to do researches of GEOPARKS territory in international groups.The project will answer to challenges of UNESCO GLOBAL GEOPARKS.
At present, there are 127 UNESCO Global Geoparks in 35 countries. Students of the project will be involved mainly in work on values offered by GEOPARKS. Geoparks as an innovation for the protection of natural and geological heritage play an important role in the development of geotourism and knowledge exchange. If the project is funded our regions, new geoparks will be promoted and students, staff got knowledge and skills in geology, geography, cultural heritage of geoparks. The project will raise awareness of the importance of the area’s geological heritage in history and society today. Geoparks give local people a sense of pride in their region and strengthen their identification with the area.
The specific objectives of the project
- Promotion of awareness of geological hazards, including volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis in Geoparks.
- Create local, national and international partnerships for formal and informal education, public awareness, projects development. The project will work to connect the geopark to the people, raise awareness about the geopark and foster pride in the region. We want the local people to participate actively in the geopark initiative, in particular holding geopark events.
- Promotion of historical, scientic, geomorphological values of Geoparks.
- Promotion GEOJOBS between students, enriching knowledge about geoscience.
- Comparison of landscape, fauna and flora living in Geoparks area to focus society attention on biodiversity of the area.
- Promotion of common geotourism activities.
- Develop an active and conscious European citizenship.
- Motivate all teachers and learners to increase the number of foreign languages they speak and improve their foreign language skills.
- Identify and disseminate effective methods of science teaching such as methods of supporting the research activities of students. Improving teaching science by training for teachers and providing examples of lessons and activities on education platform that can be used to help teacher, students about earth science.The project will provide attractive multidisciplinary topics for environmental education. We want to give an opportunity for participants to meet and exchange experiences with students and teachers from different countries.